Tuesday 26 February 2008

the first day in school

Everyone by now should know that I am doing a module in Chinese Language. As I had expected, I got "0" for my listening comprehension test the other day. Evidently, the teacher did not tell the marker that I was exempted from taking the test. The class I was posted to was teaching a pretty elementary syllabus. But I came to know that anyone could change class if they feel that the class they were posted to is not to the level. However, I spoke to a teacher regarding my case and she told me to choose a class myself that I deem appropriate for my level but the problem is I do not want to pass judgement on my level of chinese but the university to allocate me. I do not want to be in a class where it would be too easy or a class that is TOO hard. Truthfully, though the class I went to was rather elementary, I still learnt quite a number of skills pertaining to vocabulary usage.


I went out for lunch with this Melbourne born chinese girl called chloe (whose parents are currently residing in Singapore) at 五道口 (wu dao kou) which is supposedly the fashion haven for fashionistas. Yes there are supposedly fashion elitist in MC alright though evidently a visual exploration of such endangered species have proven futile in my 6 days here. For lunch, we went to this korean restaurant where I ordered chicken cutlet rice and the rice was so darn miserable. I didnt bother taking a picture of the poor excuse for a korean dish since it would vandalise my pristine blog with such a mediocre dish.





So while walking chloe spotted this pseudo nike home/local brand to china. Its seemingly popular with the locals here as there has been adverts of it on the school's tennis court fence. And its not exactly cheap since a wind breaker there cost approximately S$50. The primogeniture's slogan of "just do it" has been modified to "anything is possible". Even the logo has been slightly modified from its elder brother.


Okay so this is the 东南门 (north east gate) of 清华大学. And before entering the university, a majestic sign salutes you at the door way which probably one of the sights of the university since there were locals who were taking pictures of it. I think that its quite cool as it exudes enigmatic aura of "pre-civilisation" with the stone carved letterings which is indigenous to chinese art in ancient times.







So yes, this is the famous ginko biloba tree thats familiar to many of us since our parents had fed* us drugs containing a certain essence/part of this vegetation that helps stimulate our brain juices. Since its winter now, what stands before us now is a tired looking tree. I guess I would come back to this same tree and take a photo of it in Spring which is going to come in a month's time I think. Leaves should/will be sprouting out by then.


*note: I had used past tense in the above passage since I would like to think that all of you readers out there arent consuming the drug at this point in time. But if you are, may mercy be taken upon you. Especially on you Amos Goh Kim Yang.



Here we have the adminstrative headquaters of the university where the incumbents are working. I wanted to go into the building to take some photographs of the exhibits that were shown there, but apparently, the security guard thought I was probably mentally unsound when i told him about my plan above. He replied "外人勿进" accompanied with a snigger. I just love being bitched by a MC security guard. Dont you? Pity.




Behold, bicycle attack. I mean come on, I need to take something indigenous to china right? not like I am trying to laugh at them or something. But what are china photos without the hot wheels? Some/most of the bikes here are not chained since I guess nearly everyone has a bike. So hamon, if only you had studied here, your bicycle would not have been stolen by some abunehneh/bangladesh construction workers at Kovan. Ehhh watch your mouth, dont come and 鸡蛋 me.






Here is the grand university sports stadium,


清华大学综合体育馆, hopefully I would be playing some badminton here since it looks damn cool! It's almost like a proper sports centre. Now weipin, are you going to send me my racket haha!






Here is the bowling alley of the school. It's quite cool to have a bowling alley in the school premises right. It's a small one though, around 10 lanes, but i think its good enough already. Cool stuff huh. A game there would cost one S$1.60 approx. not expensive i reckon.



Okay so this is my dorm. Or rather apartment since its called 公寓 and not 宿舍. Oh and if you didn't know, there is daily room service where they clean my room everyday and the toilet too. Complimentary television which sadly shows only china shows and hong kong serials occassionally. And also a few days back a local guy gave me this menu thing and has a whole lot of japanese cuisine where I could call him and he would deliver to my block. The receptionist downstairs will call me to collect it. Loves this, almost like room service right =) Yes hit me. If only they could do my laundry too.......

Okay now I got some serious/funny news to tell. My university has this "cafereria" which serves chinese cuisine. You know how university cafeterias/canteens are right? But this is nothing like the rest.... Behold in spectacular fashion................










Okay so this the cafeteria/canteen in the university. I ordered 3 dishes over here of gargantuous portions and it cost S$17. Though the supposed wrap of the beijing duck was quite grosse and very different from that back home, the food tasted quite alright.


So here is the beijing duck in sliced form. The wrap is machine produced beancurd skin which had alot of "pores" and the taste was bland. But the duck had salvaged what it could from the overwhelming distasteful wrap.







Okay people, I think I shall stop tonight as I have completed what I had done today. night.

1 comment:

Psyfig said...

AHAHAHA!! Gingko Biloba LIVE in Beijing!

Go get some fresh ones and send it to Hougang via registered mail thnx!!